We are looking for an enthusiastic and highly motivated data scientist to join our growing data science team at CMR. Day to day our data scientists are helping us achieve our mission, to transform surgery for good. Life as a CMR data scientist is both challenging and rewarding. To succeed we recruit the very best data scientists to help us solve difficult problems in surgery by applying and advancing cutting-edge techniques.
Why join us?
CMR is one of the UK’s most exciting companies to be joining right now. The scale of our ambition to build a world-class medical devices company in Cambridge is matched only by the breathtaking innovation that underpins our next generation of surgical robot. We’re an award-winning company that plans to significantly disrupt the way surgery is performed for the benefit of millions of patients all around the world.
Our values are ambitious, humble, people focused and fair and responsible. If you share these values, our passion for improving lives, and have the skills to make a real difference to the way minimal access surgery is developed and delivered, then it’s a great time to join us.
In this role, you’ll be responsible for:
- Building creative and world-class solutions that utilise statistical and machine learning models to solve major challenges in surgical and robotic data science.
- Working with stakeholders from across CMR to identify project requirements and evaluate candidate solutions.
- Bringing scientific and statistical rigour to all elements of your work.
- Delivering projects to a very high standard, on time and in budget.
- Collaborating with a larger team of data scientists, machine learning scientists and data engineers.
- Remaining up to date with the latest techniques in statistics and data science.
- Communicating and presenting complex topics to others, including through academic publications and conferences.
- Upholding CMRs core values: ambitious, humble, people focused and fair and responsible
As the ideal candidate you’ll be passionate about data science. You’ll be rigorous and methodological, a great communicator, able to work individually or in a team, and continue to learn new skills and techniques to advance your career.
- A degree in computer science, mathematics, statistics, data science, engineering, physics or other relevant discipline with some post-studies experience in a data science or related role.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to solve complex problems.
- A strong track record in applying modern techniques to data science problems, including SVMs, deep learning, Bayesian methods, random forests, and clustering techniques.
- Proficiency in at least one object-orientated or functional language, e.g. Python, R, Matlab or Scala.
- Knowledge of modern database technologies including SQL, non-relational databases, and data warehousing/data lake solutions.
- Knowledge of standard ETL data pipeline tools/techniques
- The willingness to take ownership, make decisions, fail fast and learn from mistakes.
- An understanding of the importance of data security, privacy and ethical issues as applied to healthcare datasets.
- A PhD or masters level degree in a related discipline with some post-doctoral experience.
- Experience working on modern cloud environments to conduct data science, e.g. AWS or EMR.
- Knowledge of common libraries and frameworks including Numpy, Scipy, Pandas, Matplotlib, Tensorflow, Keras and PyTorch.
- Familiarity with Linux and common software tools including Git, Jupyter, and Docker.
- Experience of working with data in a regulated industry, e.g. healthcare, finance.
- Some experience or knowledge of medical device regulations, e.g. MEDDEV, 510(k)
We offer a competitive salary and a great benefits package (including non-contributory pension scheme, cycle-to-work scheme, life assurance, and our legendary monthly BBQs). On top of that, you’ll be joining a company with a fabulous culture of ambition, creativity and teamwork, and where fun is just as valued as our commitment to make surgery better for millions of people.