We are looking for an enthusiastic and highly motivated machine learning scientist to join our growing data science team at CMR. Life as a CMR machine learning scientist is both challenging and rewarding, after all our mission is ambitious: to transform surgery for good. To succeed we recruit the very best machine learning scientists to help us solve difficult problems in surgery, by applying and advancing relevant techniques from computer vision, reinforcement learning, natural language processing and more.
Why join us?
CMR is one of the UK’s most exciting companies to be joining right now. The scale of our ambition to build a world-class medical devices company in Cambridge is matched only by the breathtaking innovation that underpins our next generation of surgical robot. We’re an award-winning company that plans to significantly disrupt the way surgery is performed for the benefit of millions of patients all around the world.
Our values are ambitious, humble, people focused and fair and responsible. If you share these values, our passion for improving lives, and have the skills to make a real difference to the way minimal access surgery is developed and delivered, then it’s a great time to join us.
In this role, you’ll be responsible for:
- Building state-of-the-art machine learning models to solve major challenges in surgical and robotic data science. Your focus will be on building technologies that will be incorporated into the Versius surgical robotic system and its ecosystem of software and tools.
- Working on any number of diverse problems that match your skillset, e.g. machine vision, multi-class classification, spatio-temporal segmentation, reinforcement learning, natural language processing and clustering.
- Designing and building experiments to advance the state of the art in machine learning, bringing a high scientific standard to your work.
- Delivering projects to a very high standard of completion, on time and in budget.
- Collaborating with a larger team of data scientists, machine learning scientists and data engineers.
- Remaining up to date with the latest techniques in statistics and data science.
- Communicating and presenting complex topics to others, including through academic publications and conferences.
- Upholding CMRs core values: ambitious, humble, people focused and fair and responsible
As the ideal candidate you’ll be passionate about machine learning and data science. You’ll be rigorous and methodological, a great communicator, able to work individually or in a team, and continue to learn new skills and techniques to advance your career.
- A masters level degree in computer science, mathematics, statistics, data science, engineering, physics or other relevant discipline with some post-graduate experience.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to solve complex problems.
- A strong track record in applying modern techniques, including SVMs, deep learning, Bayesian methods, random forests, and clustering techniques.
- Familiarity with modern deep learning network designs, particularly in the field of computer vision.
- Proficiency in at least one object-orientated or functional language, e.g. Python, R, Matlab or Scala.
- Experience using modern database technologies including SQL, non-relational databases, and data warehousing/data lake solutions.
- Knowledge of standard ETL and data pipeline tools/techniques.
- Knowledge of common libraries and frameworks, e.g. Numpy, Scipy, Pandas, Matplotlib, Tensorflow, Keras and PyTorch.
- The willingness to take ownership, make decisions, fail fast and learn from mistakes.
- An understanding of data security, privacy and ethical issues as applied to healthcare datasets.
- A PhD in computer science, mathematics, statistics, data science, engineering, physics or other relevant discipline.
- Experience using modern cloud environments for data science, e.g. AWS services +/- EMR.
- Familiarity with the Linux operating system and common software tools, e.g. Git, Jupyter, and Docker.
- Experience with big data technologies, including Hadoop/Spark and Kafka.
- Some knowledge or experience of medical device regulations, e.g. MEDDEV, 510(k).
We offer a competitive salary and a great benefits package (including non-contributory pension scheme, cycle-to-work scheme, life assurance, and our legendary monthly BBQs). On top of that, you’ll be joining a company with a fabulous culture of ambition, creativity and teamwork, and where fun is just as valued as our commitment to make surgery better for millions of people.