This is an exceptional opportunity to join the CMR Surgical executive team at a vital time in our rapid growth. Reporting to the CEO, you will be an integral part of the Executive team responsible for leading and shaping the rapid global growth of the business. As Manufacturing Director you will have a specific focus on leading and developing the strategic direction for expanding CMR’s global production and supply chain capabilities for Versius and its accessories, incorporating both high volume consumables and lower volume high complexity robotic systems. Building and leading the production and supply chain divisions, you will be passionate about the global scaling of the manufacture of the Versius surgical robotic system ensuring more patients can benefit from minimally invasive, robotic assisted surgery. It will be key that you collaborate and work closely with the other Directors of the business to ensure CMR Surgical is positioned as a respected competitor alongside the largest Medtech companies in the world.
Why join us?
CMR is one of the UK’s most exciting companies to be joining right now. The scale of our ambition to build a world-class medical devices company in Cambridge is matched only by the breathtaking innovation that underpins our next generation of surgical robot. We’re an award-winning company that plans to significantly disrupt the way surgery is performed for the benefit of millions of patients all around the world.
Our values are ambitious, humble, people focused and fair and responsible. If you share these values, our passion for improving lives, and have the skills to make a real difference to the way minimal access surgery is developed and delivered, then it’s a great time to join us.
- Lead, plan and execute the global strategy of the Manufacturing division, including responsibility for the production, manufacturing, and supply chain teams
- Lead and guide teams to ensure global production facilities are operational, efficient and equipped to achieve agreed production targets and agreed customer requirements whilst complying with quality, health, safety and environmental standards
- Lead and instil a culture of continuous improvement and maximising efficiencies while not compromising on quality across the division and throughout the global business
- Identify and fill gaps in planning, organisation, metrics and lead the implementation of necessary and agreed changes
- Plan for global scale-up, including both devising strategy, and specifying and delivering infrastructure to scale the global manufacturing capabilities of CMR. The scope includes both high and low volume manufacturing processes, with a mix of third party, domestic and offshore facilities.
- Work in partnership with the R&D division to feed back, process and implement design improvements and to improve manufacturability of the design to achieve scale-up.
We will expect you to use your strategic thinking and network to be able to rapidly take a complex product early in its lifecycle to scaled up manufacture within a regulated environment. You will have significant experience in the establishment of complex global supply chain & manufacturing solutions. In addition, we’d like you to have experience in the following:
- Leading, building and motivating global manufacturing and supply chain teams and reporting progress clearly to exec team / Board
- Working in a regulation and quality driven environment, including familiarity with medical device regulations (ISO13485 and GMP) and Quality Plans
- Production experience in complex, high-value electromechanical products: for example, robotics, precision-machinery, printing equipment, or instrumentation
- Leading continuous improvement and increasing efficiency initiatives
- Proven experience of NPI of complex electromechanical products into target markets
As well as having:
- strong business aptitude, clear thinking and communication, and great decision making skills
- proven leadership skills and a genuine desire to help and support team members to achieve their best
- proven track record in leading teams to consistent SLA delivery and KPI achievement
- strong negotiation and issue resolution skills
- excellent people skills with experience of working with wide range of leading global manufacturing partners
- excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- a customer focused, motivated and outcome driven attitude
- a passion for the use of big data, machine learning and technology to enhance the productivity of manufacturing and supply chains
- a great approach to teamwork, especially as an expert at getting things done, all with a positive attitude
- a self-motivated, high-energy and tenacious approach; a track record throughout your education and professional career demonstrating how you have seized every opportunity and have excelled in each.
In addition, it would be desirable for you to have experience of working with Far East and Eastern European manufacturing
We offer a competitive salary and a great benefits package (including non-contributory pension scheme, cycle-to-work scheme, life assurance, and our legendary monthly BBQs). On top of that, you’ll be joining a company with a fabulous culture of ambition, creativity and teamwork, and where fun is just as valued as our commitment to make surgery better for millions of people.