We’re looking for a highly motivated and experienced senior manufacturing test manager to oversee all aspects of production testing the Versius surgical robotic system. We’re looking for someone with a passion for testing and fault diagnosis to help us bring the next generation of surgical-assist robot to market.
If you’re an inspiring and motivating leader, who enjoys driving a production test team to ensure the highest quality goals, this could be the right opportunity for you! You’ll need to be a forward thinker who will thrive in a fast paced, developing and ever-changing high-tech environment.
Reporting to the Head of Manufacturing Engineering, you will take a hands-on approach to managing the day to day running of the test teams on the line taking responsibility for both test execution, and in conjunction with the Manufacturing Test Development Manager, specifying and improving the manufacturing test processes. Your role will also encompass managing the technical team that provides first- and second-line technical support when problems arise.
You will have the skills to:
handle the day-to-day running of the test technicians on the line, providing escalation support as necessary for test failures;
plan and execute improvements to the testing process, in conjunction with the design team and the wider production engineering function;
manage and run, first line fault finding and diagnosis, feeding back to the line corrective actions based on the fault-finding flowcharts;
manage a team of engineers providing first-line and second-line technical support when tests fail;
to drive up test quality and drive down test process time to ensure scale-up across the testing function within production.
Through providing direction as part of CMR’s manufacturing engineering team, you’ll be able to make a real impact on the output quality and efficiency of production.
Why join us?
CMR is one of the UK’s most exciting companies to be joining right now. The scale of our ambition to build a world-class medical devices company in Cambridge is matched only by the breath-taking innovation that underpins our next generation of surgical robot. We’re an award-winning company that plans to significantly disrupt the way surgery is performed for the benefit of millions of patients all around the world.
Our values are ambitious, humble, people focused and fair and responsible. If you share these values, our passion for improving lives, and have the skills to make a real difference to the way minimal access surgery is developed and delivered, then it’s a great time to join us.
Every day will be different and that’s the beauty of joining our rapidly growing team! As we grow roles will also change and evolve and as a result, we’d expect you to be willing to turn your hand to anything within the production testing remit that helps the team deliver new product to the line. Some of your primary responsibilities will include:
- Having responsibility for the production testing team within the manufacturing engineering function:
- Planning and executing the various production tests to ensure timely delivery of product
- Providing first-line and second-line fault diagnosis and re-work directions and managing the escalation process to third-line support with the design teams
- Identifying areas for test improvement and working with the Manufacturing Test Development Manager to realise these updates
- Continuously monitoring test pass fail statistics and providing visualisations to keep the wider business fully informed
- In conjunction with the Production Manager, planning necessary rework and retest
- Working alongside the Manufacturing NPI Manager to plan updates to testing processes and controlled introduction of new testing to the line
- Delivering regular management reports on the progress within the test team to upper management
- Managing the interfaces between the manufacturing test team with the wider manufacturing function and design function within the company
- Mentoring the team and assisting with recruitment of high-quality candidates for the team
- Clearly communicating the company’s vision and values.
You will have experience of running a manufacturing test team, preferably in a highly regulated manufacturing environment: medical devices, automotive, or aerospace. It would be ideal if you had experience of manufacturing within ISO 13485 certification and FDA GMP.
We anticipate you will have:
- Excellent communication skills with a significant background in the day-to-day running of a manufacturing test team
- An understanding of how efficacy of testing maps onto product quality risk, ideally in a healthcare environment
- A clear understanding of the steps used to validate production test process
- A good understanding of manufacturing of a high-value, low volume, complex mechatronic system
- An innovative approach to problem solving combined with a solid understanding of systems engineering, able to span engineering disciplines of mechanics, electronics, and software
- The ability to work under pressure and achieve deadlines on a monthly basis
- Good experience of mentoring and developing teams, having successfully led small teams in the past
- A responsive approach with the ability to differentiate and prioritise between multiple conflicting priorities without losing sight of long-term strategic goals
- A good degree in a relevant discipline or equivalent experience combined with a successful track record of manufacturing engineering in a high-tech, low volume, high quality environment
We offer a competitive salary and a great benefits package (including non-contributory pension scheme, cycle-to-work scheme, life assurance, and our legendary monthly BBQs). On top of that, you’ll be joining a company with a fabulous culture of ambition, creativity and teamwork, and where fun is just as valued as our commitment to make surgery better for millions of people.