We’re looking for a highly capable and enthusiastic python developer to join our growing software team in Cambridge to develop and maintain our rich spectrum of engineering support software.
You’d be taking a pivotal role in the development of new Python-based support software for control and testing of our minimally invasive surgical robotic system, and maintenance support for our existing code base.
Why join us?
CMR is one of the UK’s most exciting companies to be joining right now. The scale of our ambition to build a world-class medical devices company in Cambridge is matched only by the breathtaking innovation that underpins our next generation of surgical robot. We’re an award-winning company that plans to significantly disrupt the way surgery is performed for the benefit of millions of patients all around the world.
Our values are ambitious, humble, people focused and fair and responsible. If you share these values, our passion for improving lives, and have the skills to make a real difference to the way minimal access surgery is developed and delivered, then it’s a great time to join us.
You’ll be designing and implementing Python software to support the development and test of our robotic hardware and software, with your responsibilities including:
• Following best practices for Python software development, and helping promote these to non-software colleagues
• Maintaining, improving, and adding to the existing Python codebase
• Developing and implementing creative solutions based on key engineering requirements
• Delivering project tasks within agreed time-scales and budget
• Writing technical documentation to support both manufacturing and integration tests
• Collaborating with electronics & mechanical engineers to understand software requirements
First and foremost, you’ll have a passion for software craftsmanship and the drive to continually learn new skills. You’ll most likely have a degree, although not necessarily in Computer Science – many of our developers studied other STEM subjects. If you haven’t been to university, then you’ll have equivalent career experience.
You should be able to demonstrate strong Python development skills, the determination to develop software to the highest standards within agreed time-scales, adaptability and great communications skills.
• On-the-job experience of using Python to develop software applications
• Familiarity with both Python 2.7 and Python 3.x
• Working with a large existing codebase
• Automated testing and continuous integration
• Reporting, diagnosing and fixing software issues
• Using version control
• Adhering to coding standards
• Knowledge of some/all of the following Python modules:
o PyQt, numpy, pandas, ctypes, socket, struct, threading
• Ability to read and understand C/C++
• Experience with Agile development methodologies
• Working with Python in Blender
• Code refactoring for testability
We offer a competitive salary and a great benefits package (including non-contributory pension scheme, cycle-to-work scheme, life assurance, and our legendary monthly BBQs). On top of that, you’ll be joining a company with a fabulous culture of ambition, creativity and teamwork, and where fun is just as valued as our commitment to make surgery better for millions of people.