CMR are seeking a highly capable and enthusiastic software developer with a passion for world class manufacturing and product quality to join our software group within manufacturing engineering.
You’d be taking a pivotal role in a small and growing team to develop Python-based software for both guaranteeing manufacturing quality and growing tools to help CMR become a world class manufacturer of medical devices in Cambridge, UK.
Why join us?
CMR is one of the UK’s most exciting companies to be joining right now. The scale of our ambition to build a world-class medical devices company in Cambridge is matched only by the breathtaking innovation that underpins our next generation of surgical robot. We’re an award-winning company that plans to significantly disrupt the way surgery is performed for the benefit of millions of patients all around the world.
Our values are ambitious, humble, people focused and fair and responsible. If you share these values, our passion for improving lives, and have the skills to make a real difference to the way minimal access surgery is developed and delivered, then it’s a great time to join us.
You’ll be designing and implementing Python based software to test assemblies in the Versius surgical robot and to integrate process improvement tools for use on the manufacturing line.
- Developing software requirements and verification approaches for test and process software tools to be used on the line
- Coding up creative solutions for software tools using Python, following best practices for Python software development
- Collaborating with engineers across the product realisation process from design engineering teams through to manufacturing teams to deliver the best tools for the job
- Maintaining, improving, and adding to the existing Python codebase
- Managing your time within a small agile team of developers working within agreed time-scales to deliver high quality tools on-time
- Writing technical documentation to support these tools including validation protocols and reports
We’re a high growth company and as such roles change and evolve. We’d expect you to be willing to turn your hand to anything within the Manufacturing team remit that helps the team deliver its objectives.
A natural communicator hopefully goes without saying, but in addition we’d like you to have:
- First and foremost, you’ll have a passion for product quality and process improvement and have the drive to continually learn new skills. You should be able to demonstrate good understanding of processes and may already have worked in a manufacturing engineering team
- You should have strong Python development skills, and have an understanding of software development processes, although there is no need to have experience in medical device software or robotics
- Team working is key to CMR and we expect that you will be a key contributor to a small team, have good communication skills and be able to manage your own time well within a team environment, working to the highest standards within agreed time-scales
- A genuine desire to help and support team members so that we can all achieve our best
- On-the-job experience of using Python to develop software applications
- Familiarity with both Python 2.7 and Python 3.x
- Knowledge of Relational databases and SQL
- Reporting, diagnosing and fixing software issues
- Use of modern version control systems
- Adhering to coding standards
- Understanding of software testing and validation
- Understanding modern manufacturing practises
- Understanding of current software development techniques (e.g. TDD)
- Knowledge of NoSQL databases (e.g. Mongo)
- Python technologies for Qt user interface design
- Ability to read and understand C/C++
- Experience with Agile development methodologies
- Automated testing and continuous integration and delivery
You’ll most likely have a degree, although not necessarily in Computer Science – many of our developers studied other STEM subjects. If you haven’t been to university, then you’ll have equivalent career experience.
We offer a competitive salary and a great benefits package (including non-contributory pension scheme, cycle-to-work scheme, life assurance, and our legendary monthly BBQs). On top of that, you’ll be joining a company with a fabulous culture of ambition, creativity and teamwork, and where fun is just as valued as our commitment to make surgery better for millions of people.