We are looking for an enthusiastic and highly motivated senior machine learning scientist to join our growing data science team at CMR. Life as a CMR machine learning scientist is both challenging and rewarding, after all our mission is ambitious, to transform surgery for good. To succeed we recruit the very best machine learning scientists to help us solve difficult problems in surgery, by applying and advancing relevant techniques from computer vision, reinforcement learning, natural language processing and more. As a senior member of the team you’ll be responsible for providing strong technical and scientific leadership, including curating a supportive and scientific environment within which the wider team can thrive.
Why join us?
CMR is one of the UK’s most exciting companies to be joining right now. The scale of our ambition to build a world-class medical devices company in Cambridge is matched only by the breathtaking innovation that underpins our next generation of surgical robot. We’re an award-winning company that plans to significantly disrupt the way surgery is performed for the benefit of millions of patients all around the world.
Our values are ambitious, humble, people focused and fair and responsible. If you share these values, our passion for improving lives, and have the skills to make a real difference to the way minimal access surgery is developed and delivered, then it’s a great time to join us.
In this role, you’ll be responsible for:
- Providing technical and strategic leadership for machine learning projects.
- Working with a wider team of machine learning and data scientists, to provide technical oversight, mentoring and support.
- Building and experimenting with cutting-edge machine learning models to solve major challenges in surgical and robotic data science. Your focus will be on technologies that will be incorporated into the Versius surgical robotic system and its ecosystem of software and tools.
- Working on any number of diverse problems across machine vision, multi-class classification, spatio-temporal segmentation, natural language processing, clustering and more.
- Designing and building experiments to advance the state of the art in machine learning, bringing a rigorous and high scientific standard to the work of the team.
- Managing projects from concept to evaluation, delivering projects to a very high standard of completion, on time and in budget.
- Collaborating on large projects with a team of data scientists, machine learning scientists and data engineers.
- Remaining up to date with the latest techniques in statistics and data science.
- Communicating and presenting complex topics to others, including through academic publications and conferences.
- Upholding CMRs core values: ambitious, humble, people focused and fair and responsible.
As the ideal candidate you’ll be passionate about machine learning and data science and have a deep technical understanding of modern machine learning techniques. You’ll be rigorous and methodological, a great communicator, a team player and supportive leader, and continue to learn new skills and techniques to advance your career.
- A PhD in computer science, mathematics, statistics, data science, engineering, physics (or other relevant discipline) together with post-doctoral and/or industry experience.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to solve complex problems.
- A strong track record in applying modern techniques, including SVMs, deep learning, Bayesian methods, random forests, and clustering techniques.
- A thorough understanding of modern deep learning network designs, particularly in the field of computer vision.
- Proficiency in at least one of Python, R, Matlab or Scala.
- Familiarity with the Linux operating system and common software tools, e.g. Git, Jupyter, and Docker.
- Experience working on modern cloud environments to conduct data science (preferably AWS).
- Experienced using modern database systems including SQL, non-relational databases, and data warehousing/data lake solutions, and practical experience of standard ETL and pipeline tools.
- Practical experience of common libraries and frameworks, e.g. Numpy, Scipy, Pandas, Matplotlib, Tensorflow, Keras and PyTorch.
- Experience of project management and agile methodologies, e.g. SCRUM.
- The ability to work individually or in a team, to self-organise, prioritise and work with minimal supervision.
- The willingness to take ownership, make decisions, fail fast and learn from mistakes.
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Experience of working with data in a regulated industry, e.g. healthcare, finance.
- A deep understanding of security, privacy and ethical issues as applied to healthcare datasets.
- Experience with big data technologies, including Hadoop/Spark and Kafka.
- Some knowledge or experience of medical device regulations, e.g. MEDDEV, 510(k).
We offer a competitive salary and a great benefits package (including non-contributory pension scheme, cycle-to-work scheme, life assurance, and our legendary monthly BBQs). On top of that, you’ll be joining a company with a fabulous culture of ambition, creativity and teamwork, and where fun is just as valued as our commitment to make surgery better for millions of people.