Could you play a key role in developing software that will make a real difference to millions of lives every year? If you’re a highly skilled, enthusiastic, curious, and proactive senior engineer then we’d love you to come and join one of our software team.
Why join us?
CMR is one of the UK’s most exciting companies to be joining right now. The scale of our ambition to build a world-class medical devices company in Cambridge is matched only by the breathtaking innovation that underpins our next generation of surgical robot. We’re an award-winning company that plans to significantly disrupt the way surgery is performed for the benefit of millions of patients all around the world.
Our values are ambitious, humble, people focused and fair and responsible. If you share these values, our passion for improving lives, and have the skills to make a real difference to the way minimal access surgery is developed and delivered, then it’s a great time to join us.
In this role, you’ll plan, coordinate, and develop new robotic technology for use in keyhole surgery. Capable of coupling rigorous attention to detail with a creative approach to problem solving, you’ll work as a lead member of a multi-disciplinary team, as well as:
- Architect and code high quality software which is suitable for use in an invasive medical device and is compliant with the relevant medical device standards
- Apply best practice for software development and mentor less experienced employees in this area
- Develop and implement creative solutions based on different technologies and key requirements
- Plan and deliver project tasks within agreed timescales and budget
- Write complex technical design documentation and test protocols
We’re a high growth company and as such roles change and evolve. We’d expect you to be willing to turn your hand to anything within the software remit that helps the team deliver its objectives.
As well as a 2.1 or above in a computer science degree, relevant engineering, mathematics, or science discipline, with significant experience in developing software for complex systems, you’ll have a track record in a technical leadership role and be able and determined to deliver projects within agreed timescales. You will bring excellent problem-solving skills demonstrated throughout the design process, significant experience of using C/C++ language in embedded and real time applications, and proven experience of software development best practises for ensuring code quality and testability. We’d also value experience of or skill in:
- Architecting and coding real time embedded systems using both bare metal and RTOS architectures
- Design, implementation, and testing of software development for high reliability systems (E.g. Functional Safety / IEC 61508 or Software for Medical Devices / IEC 62304)
- Working within an Agile management framework
- Working to specific coding standards for safety, such as MISRA C or High Integrity C++, and of using static code analysis tools
- Verification of software systems to formal requirements
- Managing continuous integration systems for automated build and regression testing
- A scripting language, such as Python
- Reading electronics schematics and debugging software on target hardware
- Developing software and algorithms for robotic technologies
- A genuine desire to help and support team members so that we can all achieve our best
We offer a competitive salary and a great benefits package (including non-contributory pension scheme, cycle-to-work scheme, life assurance, and our legendary monthly BBQs). On top of that, you’ll be joining a company with a fabulous culture of ambition, creativity and teamwork, and where fun is just as valued as our commitment to make surgery better for millions of people.