We’re looking for a multi-skilled Senior Systems Engineer who is able to develop a deep understanding of our highly complex electromechanical robotic systems and to use that knowledge to solve customer or manufacturing critical problems. You’ll need a love of picking apart complex engineering problems as well as the ability to respond quickly and creatively to time-critical issues. You’ll be at the centre of exciting and fast-growing business, and will work closely with the field support teams, manufacturing teams and product development.
Why join us?
CMR is one of the UK’s most exciting companies to be joining right now. The scale of our ambition to build a world-class medical devices company in Cambridge is matched only by the breath-taking innovation that underpins our next generation of surgical robot. We’re an award-winning company that plans to significantly disrupt the way surgery is performed for the benefit of millions of patients all around the world.
Our values are ambitious, humble, people focused and fair and responsible. If you share these values, our passion for improving lives, and have the skills to make a real difference to the way minimal access surgery is developed and delivered, then it’s a great time to join us.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Helping develop the tools and processes that will enable us to support rapidly growing numbers of Versius systems in the field and on the manufacturing line. From clever algorithms to spot the first sign of performance changes, to ingenious mechanical tools that will help us diagnose problems or improve our ability to service in the field.
- Rapidly developing creative technical solutions to critical issues in the field or in manufacturing that cannot be resolved by our Tier 1 or Tier 2 support teams.
- Having contained a problem and got our customers or our manufacturing line back on track, you’ll turn you hand to drilling down into the true root cause of problems in order to ensure we implement the right long-term product or process improvements.
- You will help mentor and develop more junior colleagues in your area, both informally and through line management responsibilities.
We’re a high growth company and as such roles change and evolve. We expect you to be willing to turn your hand to anything within the team’s remit that helps the team deliver its objectives.
We’d expect you to have a degree in engineering, physics or a related discipline and a proven track record of applying your cross-disciplinary systems engineering skills in a product development environment. We would also like you to:
- Have a broad mix of software, electronics and mechanical skills, and the ability to rapidly understand the complexities of probably the most sophisticated medical device on the planet.
- Love getting to the bottom of knotty problems – you’ll be the sort of person who simply doesn’t rest until they’ve unravelled all the complexities of a problem.
- Be comfortable switching between detailed analysis, and short-term containment of customer-critical problems.
- Have an ability to develop a good physical intuition for the mechanical dynamics of our system.
- Be a technical expert in at least one from: software, control, electronics or mechanical design, with a track record of taking a leading role in at least one of those areas on product development projects.
- Be excited by the opportunity to help develop and support team members and the chance to help shape and grow our team.
It would be great if you also had:
- Experience in the design, manufacture or field support of safety critical systems, either within the medical sector or another industry such as automotive, aerospace, or industrial control.
- Experience of medical product development processes and standards.
- Relevant experience in robotics or other complex electromechanical systems.
- Experience in leading technical teams either in a line management or project management capacity.
We offer a competitive salary and a great benefits package (including non-contributory pension scheme, cycle-to-work scheme, life assurance, and our infamous monthly BBQs). On top of that, you’ll be joining a company with a fabulous culture of ambition, creativity and teamwork, and where fun is just as valued as our commitment to make surgery better for millions of people.