We’ve got a dynamic, exciting and demanding role for a technology development engineer on our product development team in Cambridge. We’re looking for someone who can rapidly prototype complex systems and employ robust experimental methods as well as provide practical and analytical support across the full product development cycle.
Why join us?
CMR is an exciting and evolving company to be joining right now. Our commitment to our goal of building a world-class medical devices company is underpinned by the ground-breaking innovation of our next genera-tion of surgical robots and a diverse team of talented and supportive individuals.
Our values are to be ambitious, humble, people focused and fair and responsible. If you share these values, our passion for improving lives, and have the desire to make a real difference to the way minimal access sur-gery is developed and delivered, then it is a great time to join us.
In this role, we’re looking for someone who can:
- Take ownership of technical problems as part of a multi-disciplinary product development team
- Develop and implement creative solutions based on different technologies and key requirements
- Write prototype software in line with “good practice” guidelines for source control and testing
- Design and deliver structured experimental test programs to guide selection, optimisation and root cause understanding of engineering problems
- Write complex technical design documentation and test protocols
- Collaborate widely across the business, including clinical, usability and all engineering functions, to elicit and understand requirements
- Plan investigative work and communicate progress
- Transfer key learnings from prototype development and experimental work to engineering teams
We’re a high growth company and as such roles change and evolve. We’d expect you to be willing to turn your hand to anything within the product development remit that helps the team deliver its objectives.
You’ll be degree qualified in a relevant engineering or science discipline. Naturally you’ll have a strong understanding of mechanical, electronics and software engineering fundamentals, with analytical, theoretical, experimental and creative capabilities. You’ll also be a great team player, keen to work to the highest standards and focussed on delivery within agreed timescales.
Required Skills and Experience
- A physics or broad engineering background
- Wide-ranging technical interests and practical skills
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems and drive technical solutions throughout the design process
- Practical experience in experimental design, ideally using statistical and Design of Experiments methodology
- Ability to produce clear and concise technical and requirements documentation
- Good communication skills
- Experience of planning and delivering small work packages
Experience working in interdisciplinary teams
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Project leadership of small teams
- Familiarity with high-level programming languages suited to rapid prototyping (such as Python) and database structures
- Familiarity with software source control, continuous integration and peer code reviewing tools
- Working experience with mechanical CAD systems, ideally SolidWorks
- Labview development, especially for experiment and test automation
- Experience with using Matlab
- Practical, hands-on experience with electro-mechanical systems
- Appreciation of DF(x) requirements, particularly for manufacturing, reliability and test
- Agile development methodologies
- Experience of working in a medical device development environment or industry
We offer a competitive salary and a great benefits package. In addition, you’ll be joining a company with a fabulous culture of ambition, creativity and teamwork, and where fun is just as valued as our commitment to make surgery better for millions of people.