We’re looking for a highly capable, enthusiastic senior Python developer to join our growing software team in Cambridge. You’ll be leading the development of new Python-based applications to support the deployment, monitoring and service of our Versius robotic system for keyhole surgery, as well as assisting with maintenance of our existing applications.
Why join us?
CMR is an exciting and evolving company to be joining right now. Our commitment to our goal of building a world-class medical devices company is underpinned by the ground-breaking innovation of our next generation of surgical robots and a diverse team of talented and supportive individuals.
Our values are to be ambitious, humble, people focused and fair and responsible. If you share these values, our passion for improving lives, and have the desire to make a real difference to the way minimal access surgery is developed and delivered, then it is a great time to join us.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Leading team of developers to deliver high quality software, including technical and functional leadership of a growing team in our Cambridge head office.
- Developing desktop applications, primarily in Python/Qt, that are used by our field service teams to perform both commissioning and health monitoring for our robot systems.
- Working with our condition monitoring team and cloud infrastructure teams to implement system health dashboards and automated reporting, leveraging our custom cloud infrastructure in AWS.
- Ensuring that all our tools interact with our cloud infrastructure in a secure manner.
- Enthusiastically engaging with your customers to determine their underlying needs and then delivering great solutions in an incremental fashion, continuously adapting to user feedback.
- Working with the Versius product teams to specify and help implement cleaner, simpler and better-defined automation interfaces to our hardware.
- Helping mentor and develop more junior colleagues, both informally and through line management responsibilities
We’re a high growth company and as such roles change and evolve. We expect you to be willing to turn your hand to anything within the team’s remit that helps the team deliver its objectives.
You’ll have a degree in a STEM subject and be able to demonstrate strong Python software development skills developed through significant professional experience. You’re the kind of person who has a passion for high quality software, a drive to continually learn new skills, and a determination to deliver great software within agreed timescales.
The following skills are essential for the role:
- Strong Python development skills
- Ability to read and understand C/C++
- Familiarity with common development tools e.g. Git, Bash, Docker, JIRA, TeamCity (or other CI)
- Ability to provide technical leadership on new development projects
- Comfortable in a fast paced and rapidly changing environment
- Excited by the opportunity to develop and support team members and the chance to help shape and grow our team.
- Desire to work in a multi-disciplinary environment with electronic, mechanical, manufacturing and embedded engineers
We would also like you to have experience in some of the following areas:
- Leading software teams either in a line management or project management capacity.
- Designing or writing software for embedded systems
- AWS (or another cloud platform)
- Qt GUI framework
- Common python packages e.g. tox, pytest, numpy, pandas, ctypes, socket, struct, threading, requests, mock
- Understanding of basic mechanical concepts – e.g. gear ratios and torque
- Relational databases and the use of SQL
- Agile development methodologies
- Software development for medical devices or in other regulated industries such as aerospace or automotive.
We offer a competitive salary and a great benefits package. In addition, you’ll be joining a company with a fabulous culture of ambition, creativity and teamwork, and where fun is just as valued as our commitment to make surgery better for millions of people.